During his tenure with the Raleigh Police Department, Andy was recognized with numerous awards which included the 2008 Raleigh Police Department and City of Raleigh Employee of the Year Award. He developed and led the department’s gang units and co-chaired the suppression committee of the Wake County Gang Prevention Partnership. He organized and led a Problem-Oriented Policing Team that was successful in reducing robberies within the City of Raleigh. Throughout his career, Andy has been well respected by his peers and supervisors alike for his outstanding dedication to duty. Now you have the opportunity to benefit from his knowledge and exceptional skill-set.
Private Investigator — Present
Licensed under the State of North Carolina Private Protective Services Board to provide private investigative services to private clients, attorneys, insurance agencies and corporations.
Gang Advisor, Raleigh Police Department — June 2010 to December 2011
Responsible for collaborative efforts between the Raleigh Police Department and existing community partnerships in order to provide resources for at-risk and gang involved youth. Provided training and consultation to departmental personnel and other community organizations related to gang trends and awareness. Implemented the concepts and goals of the federally funded Comprehensive Anti-Gang Initiative within Raleigh entitled Project 110%.
Detective Division Captain, Raleigh Police Department — June 2009 to March 2010
Commanded and ensured effective performance of all Detective Division functions to include major case investigations assigned to the homicide, robbery and aggravated assault units. Assisted in the development of departmental policy and procedures. Reviewed and evaluated the performance of subordinate units and individuals. Made recommendations concerning assignments, promotions, training and the discipline of subordinates. Ensured compliance with departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Conducted and reviewed investigations of allegations or complaints of police misconduct by subordinate personnel.
Detective Division Lieutenant, Raleigh Police Department — September 2006 to May 2009
Assisted in the command and effective performance of the Detective Division component consisting of the Gang Intelligence Unit (GIU) and Robbery Units in the delivery of investigative services. Work included directly supervising and coordinating major crime scene investigations of robbery and other major crimes. Ensured the collection, evaluation, analyzing and dissemination of information from all sources specifically related to the criminal activities of validated gang members. While assigned to this position, extensive analysis was also conducted on robberies occurring in Raleigh which required the personal reading of over 2,000 robbery reports. Subsequent to the review of this robbery data the Department launched an initiative focused on decreasing convenience store robberies entitled “Raleigh’s Robbery Suppression Initiative.”
Detective Division Sergeant, Raleigh Police Department — December 2004 to August 2006
Held primary responsibility for the effective performance of the Gang Investigative Unit. The unit was charged with having the primary investigative responsibility of gang related criminal offenses. Assigned police detectives to special tasks, assignments, investigations and target specific locations and individuals that were identified through collective intelligence means as a specific threat to the well-being of the citizens of Raleigh. Enhanced public safety by integrating prevention and intervention strategies into the Department’s suppression efforts to reduce gang related activities and violence.
Field Operations Sergeant, Raleigh Police Department — July 1999 to November 2004
First-line supervisor task with the primary responsibility for the effective performance of police personnel engaged in the patrol function. Ensured the appropriate response to calls for police service and major incidents; supervised, assisted, observed and instructed subordinates in unusual or difficult situations. Ensured that crime scene protocols were followed and adhered to and those incidents were properly documented; reviewed written reports prepared by subordinate officers for accuracy and completeness.
Detective Division Investigator, Raleigh Police Department — February 1996 to June 1999
Assigned to the street drugs unit and drug task force. Conducted preliminary and supplemental investigations of crimes including: interviewing complainants, witnesses, informants, and suspects; identified, collected and preserved physical evidence; prepared written reports and testified in court. Investigated drug activity ranging from open-air drug markets to the manufacturing and distribution of controlled substances to include drug trafficking organizations. Cooperated with members of other local, state and federal law enforcement and investigative agencies in the identification, location, apprehension and arrest of offenders involved in criminal drug and vice activities.
Police Officer, Raleigh Police Department — March 1985 to January 1996
Conducted proactive patrol throughout assigned areas within the City of Raleigh. Provided initial response to 911 calls for service and conducted preliminary investigation on all incidents to include robberies, burglaries, aggravated assaults and homicides.
Professional Writings & Recognition
- The Raleigh Police Department’s Response to Gang Activity: 2010 Report
- The Raleigh Police Department’s Response to Gang Activity: 2009 Report
- The Raleigh Police Department’s Problem Oriented Policing Approach to Reducing Convenience Store Robberies — Raleigh’s Robbery Suppression Initiative
- 2009 WRAL.com Ask Anything: 10 Questions with Raleigh Police Captain Andy Nichol, Gang & Robbery Units
- 2008 Raleigh Police Department Employee of the Year
- 2008 City of Raleigh Employee of the Year
- 2001 International Narcotics Officer’s Special Award of Honor
- 2000 Department of Justice DEA, AUSA & US Marshall Service — Letters of Commendation
- State of NC, DOJ Criminal Justice Education & Training Standards Commission General Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Law Enforcement Certificates
- United States Marine Corps – Honorable Discharge
- BJA & OJJDP National Gang Symposium 6/2011
- KJN — Basic Street Gang Identification & Investigation 2/2010
- IPTM — Interview & Interrogation of Drug & Gang Offenders 12/2008
- IPTM — Investigating Gang Related Homicides 8/2008
- RPD — Tactical Communication & Verbal Judo 2/2008
- PCC — Outlaw Biker Gang Investigations 3/2007
- IPTM — Advanced Gang Investigations 6/2005
- OJJDP National Youth Gang Symposium 6/2005
- CMPD — Asian Crime Symposium 4/2005
- NCGIA — Annual Gang Training Conference Fall/2004, 05 & 07
- Wake Tech — Street Gangs Identification & Investigation 11/2004
- MCTFT — Criminal Street Gangs 1 & 111 11/2004
- RPD — Interview & Interrogation 3/1996
- RPD — Field Training Officer 10/1991
Administrative Officers Management Program
N.C. State University
Associate in Applied Science in Law Enforcement Technology
Johnston Community College
Over 300 Hours of Gang Instruction